Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 19

First thing...one word...EUROVISION. Go YouTube it now and then come back and finish reading this blog... go check it out!! Really...go!

It aired here last night. It´s a competition where countries in Europe and surrounding area can elect an amateur performer and song from their country then send them to compete against other countries. Last night was the final competition and let me just tell you it was very cool! Each country´s song was so different! One were dressed all as pirates and Russia, who won, had a singer, violin player and ice skater! The songs were everything from silly to rock n roll to cultural to pop. You must check it out...it´s very awesome!

Yesterday and today I haven´t done anything too exciting to blog about...just random studying, reading and journaling. I finished my book that I brought, "Through Gates of Splendor," but I think I already blogged about that...if not, what an excellent book!!!!! Charli let me borrow one of hers so today I began the sequel to "The Kite Runner," "A Thousand Splendid Suns." I haven´t read the first but she said it didn´t matter. Let me just say that I began this afternoon and have read about 70 pages and it´s a very very good book. It´s about a girl in Afghanistan who was the result of a sad affair between a maid and a successful businessman. I won´t tell you the whole story in case you want to read it.

We had paella for lunch and it was quite tasty!! I asked my mom here how to make it and she was just like "put in whatever you want with rice." For the OCD, organized, efficient me...that´s not a recipe. :) So they told me to look it up online...haha. O how the culture is different here! There is no pressure, no rush nor future planning for anything. I know for some this would be a wonderful place, but I embrace my planner, watch and organization. This weekend I am really missing American culture.

Well, it´s 10pm here and even tho now we are supposed to eat dinner around this time, I couldn´t wait much longer and ate my bocadillo around 8:45. A bocadillo is just a sandwich and mine was chorizo and cheese...pretty good.

I´m very very very excited to be coming home this week! The only thing I´m concerned about is once again packing everything in bags under 50 lbs. I have no way to check the weight here either before the airport so let´s hope it all works!

De Jaén, España, ¡buenas noches todos!

No comments: