Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 16

Finally, a lovely warm sunny day! There have been many many cool, cloudy, rainy days.

After our quiz this morning we went to this little bakery across the street...amazing! My friend and I split a ham pastry and a cream filled, chocolate covered doughnut pastry. Soo good! They doughnuts are real pastries here and not as thick as the ones we have so you don´t feel as gross after you eat it. So now I have an hour and 15 minutes before class to just chill...how nice!

Class is coming to an end which is odd because it just began. Today is our last normal class day. Mon and Tues we have presentations in our culture class, Wed is no class because of a day trip to Cruzcampo, the local brewery, and Thurs no class because we are all going to the Mercadillo in the morning. I haven´t wanted to go to the Mercadillo since the day we got here! It´s an open air street market held here in the city every Thurs morning where you can buy things very cheaply! I didn´t find out we were going until yesterday so my family and I already have plans to go to one in a nearby pueblo (town) on Sunday as well...I´m so up for 2!

Yesterday we left at 4pm to go to Lopera, a nearby pueblo, to see a castle, some trenches used in the Spanish Civil War and the local winery. The trenches were interesting to see. Much different than I had imagined. The winery was nothing but a warehouse with barrels of wine, no tour, no explanation of how the wine is made. We tasted three diff types of wine. They didn´t say the names, but the first was a dessert wine, very thick and sweet. I did not like it at all. The last was a red wine and was much better. Still not something I really like, but much much better than the other two.

I think that´s all for now. My trip is coming to an end and it is bittersweet. I miss everyone so much! I also really love the family I am staying with here; they are so sweet and accomodating! Spain is such a beautiful place! I definitely hope to return!

No comments: