Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 17

A relaxing day. No class today because on this trip we don´t have class on Fridays. I went to the library at the university this morning to work on my presentation and research paper. I got a lot done there. I then came home to lunch, a dish of green beans, scramled eggs and ham all mixed together. It was good. And...gazpacho. A cold, tomato pulp soup that I do not like. It takes place of the drink at the meal so needless to say, I took a few sips and that was all I could manage so I went without a beverage until I could go to my room afterwards to drink some bottled water. O you can always depend on water...well, here you can...in Africa I won´t be able to. The meal was also accompanied, as always, by bread and fruit.

Ana and I went shopping a bit this afternoon and I bought a very cute dress that I am super excited about! When I got home, my friend had called to invite me to go out with her and her fam tonight so I quickly left to go meet them. Ok, so get the picture. It´s 9:45ish and has just gotten dark. I am walking about 15-20 minutes according to my family), only 10 minutes if you walk my style, to meet them at the train station where I have been once, in the daylight. It is not dangerous here at night, especially since it´s so early. 9:45 would be like 5:45 in the states. Families are still walking around with their toddlers so I felt safe. I am quite proud that I found my way, without asking for directions or depending on a cell phone. We then went to a bar and had tapas which I like very much. I know I´ve already explained tapas, but when I first arrived they were eating olives and snails so I passed on that round. Then came fries, fried calamari, fried shrimp, a fried something with sausage and cheese inside, and sandwiches of ham, bacon and cheese. This was more my style...no snails for me please. My friend and I sat with 3 couples while their kids, ages 5-8, played up and down the street outside. I was surprised and how the kids can just run and play wherever. I

NOTE:if you think going to a club and coming in at 4 or 5 inthe morning is late, people here go to the discoteca and come in at 7 or 8 in the morning. Coming in at 4 or 5 is considered way early.

NOTE 2: A show comes on tomorrow night that is like American Idol except each country in Europe has voted on a song from their country and tomorrow is the night when each country's song is performed. I am super excited to see it! Spain's song is the "Chiki Chiki" and is sung by this man in an Elvis wig. You must google it and check it out. "Chiki" has no meaning, just a fun word. It's very much just a goofy song, but funny. Huge dance craze here.

No comments: